Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Learning to swim!

One of the exciting offerings at Ema's new school is swim lessons. Initially, we weren't going to do it, but after spending the Fourth of July at the pool, we decided Ema would enjoy it. Today was lesson two and I snuck away from work to watch (yes, I was the only parent there of the 30 kids). It's quite the ordeal as the kids load up on the bus (they have to come to school in their swimsuits). They then spread their towels outside before going into the pool area. It's a large, indoor pool with a very competitive swim program. Ema is still a bit hesitant, especially to put her face in the water. But she was not scared and did nearly everything her teacher asked of her. She did grab tightly to the teacher's neck when she was supposed to be holding the kickboard and floating on her back, but she still did it. We need to get Ema to the pool more often! She's only gone once this summer and a few times at Disney World in March. Of course, I think Ema's highlight was playing with her friend Carter. Those girls are tight -- they moved to their new school on the same day and have been in school together for two years now! Their drama of the day was when Carter's goggles dropped into the pool and they couldn't get them. I learned from Carter's mom that Ema put her goggles on Carter yesterday, "so she could be safe." I think she is preparing to be a big sister and look out for others!

Enjoy more photos from swim lessons and check back later for a video!

No comments: