Wow, what an amazingly beautiful country! We head to the southern province this morning and it just keeps getting better the further south we head. The palm trees line gorgeous torquoise colored waters. It's hard to believe at times that waters that tranquil and stunning could deliver something so deadly and destructive as the tsunami that hit Dec. 26, 2004. But it did. We saw a memorial to the trail that derailed because of the waves and killed 1270 passengers and 249 villagers. Amazing.
We saw two amazing programs we are facilitating. One is using cricket as a way to heal those affected by the tsunami. The other is empowering kids to have their own voice. They don't feel safe at their schools, but are doing something about it. Amazingly, all of these kids have lost one or both parents in the tsunami, yet are incredibly resilient. We were greeted by traditional Sri Lankan dances. And a high-ranking goverment official was at the event as well.
Jet lat hit about 3 this afternoon. Whew. And it hit like a load of bricks -- right during the speech given by the high-ranking government official which I could not understand and could not hear the interpreter! Hopefully tomorrow will be better!
Other notes: I got to see an elephant! Granted it was being transported, but it was an elephant (and a baby at that!). ... When the police entered the event we were at this afternoon, everyone stood up as is customary for the police. ... There Buddah statues throughout the country -- just right along the roadside. I did see a few Mary statues as well. Mostly the country is Buddhist, but the English left behind some Catholics and Hindus. ... There are some good bananas in Sri Lanka!! And so many different types! YUM! I love having fresh fruit all the time. ... I am about over the buffets for every meal! Too many choices when you are tired!
Internet access is limited and I see a host of German tourists lingering around waiting for me to finish...
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment