Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day Two in Vietnam




(excuse any spelling or grammar errors....I am TIRED!!!. Jet lag has set in!)

Finally, we got to see some of Vietnam today! We had a day of sightseeing in Hanoi.

We started wonderful breakfast buffet at the hotel that included everything from pastries, eggs, fruit, soup, noodles and even salad! The weather is cool...probably in the 60's and overcast...a little drizzly too. But no complaints here!

The day started with a visit to the Temple of Literature. It's a place where the Vietnamese used to study and when they passed they could get a job with the royal family (I think it's the royal family...either that or government). While there, I did light incense for Gage's grandmother, Meme. One of the pagodas there was actually destroyed by a bomb and recently rebuilt. On the way there we saw what is left of a prison that held many different pilots, etc. during the war. They have kept just part of it and the other part is a huge office building.

We then went to the Ho Chi Minh masoleum. That was very interesting. Foreigners lined up on one side while Vietnamese were on the other. We were not allowed cameras or cell phones and we had to go through security. Then, our line met up with the line of Vietnamese and we had to line up two-by-two to get in. The lines were long. While in line, I guess one of the Vietnamese men was very intrigued by my red hair. A few sponsors told me he could not quit staring and he was tripping over himself. Somehow, I never saw it. They concluded that I now have a boyfriend in Hanoi (as he was young)...watch out Gage! The building itself is huge and it was really cold inside. Ho Chi Minh is actually on display and has somehow been preserved since he passed away in 1969. It's the same way that people can see Stalin in Moscow. Once in, I got my first brush of communism. I got pushed along once by one of the guards (a Vietnamese soldier). Then, Scott and I managed to get a very serious shush as we were walking out. Interesting, since all of the Vietnamese were talking. Not sure what we said...or what he thought we said! The guard was very stern and needless to say, we weren't talking again! Scott actually works with us and is out of the midwest office, which is located in Duneland Beach, Ind. (near Michigan City). It was a very interesting experience. We also saw the presidential palace (from the outside) and the homes where Ho Chi Minh lived, they are all located right near the masoleum. There is a pond in front of the home he was living in when he died and he would clap his hands and the fish would come out to be fed. We saw many Vietnamese clapping at the pond...obviously it did not work for them. We also could see Ho Chi Minh's bomb shelter from the outside. Our guide said no one has been in it. But bombs fell close enough that part of the presidential palace had to be rebuilt.

After that, we went to lunch at KOTO. President Clinton once ate there after Chelsea read about it. It was wonderful. The restaurant trains and employees underpriviledged kids in Hanoi and trains them in the restaurant and hotel business. As usual, we had a multi-course meal including banana flower salad, spring rolls we had to roll ourselves, pork with bun noodles and fruit for dessert. We had dragon fruit, which is from Vietnam. I also had a smoothie made of banana, passion fruit and mint. Yum.

We then we to the Ethology museum. The most interesting thing there was all the brides and grooms who were having their photos done. They were all in Western style wedding gowns and tuxes.

After that we went to a water puppet show. Where the stage is, was water. People behind the curtains operated the puppets as they told a variety of Vietnamese tales. There was a group of people singing and playing instruments along with the performances. Very interesting.

We walked across the street to the lake-- no easy task with the huge number of motor bikes. There is absolutey no order to the driving. It's insanity. And, pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way!

Dinner was at a restaurant on the lake. It was a huge meal again -- crab soup, crisy crab spring rolls, banana flower salad again (a little different than lunch), chicken, fish, rice and fruit for dessert. Very good! And yes, I have been trying everything. I've also been taking photos of the food and the menus so Gage can see everything. I know he is jealous of all the food I get to eat. But for him, I am trying it all.

Jet lag is totally hitting me! I started getting really sleepy around 3 p.m. I am pretty much wiped out right now! When the cleaning people came to my room today, they were really thorough. They lined up my shoes and even folded some of my clothes I had just thrown into the suitcase. Talk about service.

We've seen so many non-Asian tourists here. There's a lot of German and Australian tourists. We've seen a few American, French and English as well. They are several other groups at our hotel. All of them seem to be pretty big groups.

I did get to talk to Gage and Ema last night, which was great! They are supposed to call again tonight. Ema was even trying to talk to me. She had a lot to say! I really wish they were both here with me!

So far, this has been amazing and I know it's only going to get better! But I need to get some sleep so I can fully enjoy it!

take care.

1 comment:

Dennis Harter said...

Amazing that you got a photo from outside the mausoleum. I got the yelling at when I even tried to get a photo in front of the building!