We spent Wedneday in Halong Bay. It was gorgeous! We took a lunch cruise out among the islands and then went into an amazing cave. It was beyond words. The lunch was great....fresh shrimp, crabs, squid and clams. I ate it all. I even ate a few clams just for Gage because I know how much he loves them!
On the return to shore, one of the sponsors nearly fell into the Bay. Seriously, it was close. One guy grabbed her and another had to help. Had the second guy not been there, the two would have both been in! Yikes.
Our hotel was nice. We ate at a Chinese owned restaurant that won't allow Chinese to eat there because they are too messy and obnoxious (that is straight from the owner). My stomach has played tricks on me, but I have taken care of that. I broke into a hives type rash, but I think it was from the sheets. That's all I could figure.
We drove to Hanoi this morning and joined the staff here for a nice lunch before flying to Danang. We did stop for some shopping at a workshop before arriving in Hanoi. We all stimulated the economy there! After arriving in Danang, we then drove down to Hoi An. It's very HUMID here! We are at a very nice hotel...one that Gage's dad has stayed at before (or so Gage said). The rooms actually have mosquito nets if you choose to sleep with the doors open. I think I will opt for AC tonight!!
Our dinner was aboslutely AMAZING! We ate outside at this beautiful restaurant. We had a pineapple, calamari salad, pork, beef in skewers, spicy tofu and fish in a spicy sauce. I could not stop eating the fish! All the meals are family style and I finished our plate off! The other two tables were offering theirs as well, but I decided to pass. I think my appetite has come roaring back since I settled the stomach issues. They often serve fresh fruit for dessert. But everyone was ready for a real dessert, so we ordered ice cream instead. I had coconut and it was wonderful. I have been eating my meals with chopsticks and I am getting much better!!
Of course, I tell everyone that my husband is Vietnamse and I show them pictures of Gage and Ema. All the Vietnamese say Gage looks Chinese.
This trip has truly been amazing. I can't wait for Gage to come here. I know he will love it. I am trying to be his eyes right now and absorb every taste, smell, sound and site. It's almost an overload at times. Things are so amazingly beautiful. Everyone has been so friendly to us and it seems everyone speaks English. I can't wait to see what this part of the country is like. I know it will be very interesting.
I think I forgot to mention that on Monday we saw the lake that John McCain was shot down into. They have a small cement maker telling you about it. Interesting. I think I mentioned we have one Vietnam vet on the trip and I know it's been very interesting for him. He was in the navy and was on a boat, but they were fired upon.
Seems like everyone takes American dollars. Not sure why I exchanged money! Even the small markets take the dollar. I've been using the dong to tip, etc. I need to use that up!!
Wednesday was a long day for me and I kind of hit a wall. It's been a long trip. I feel like I've been gone for ages. I am enjoying every single second of this trip, but I will be happy to see Gage and Ema. I miss them a lot!!!
Hopefully I can blog again tomorrow....I think we have another boat trip. Hopefully we don't lose anyone!!
take care,
No comments:
Post a Comment