Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Jen in Mexico-Monday

The high of the weekend intensified Monday as Jen and her group visited the projects. She said they were greeted with confetti and the glowing faces of small children. Jen admitted that the moment took her by surprise. She never thought seeing the people would affect her so much. She almost cried.

Jen said her organization sponsors 600 children from 300 families in this village. Many of the kids were in school so the ones who the group saw were mainly toddlers and younger. She said they were very cute, had an indigenous appearance, and she wished she could take some home.

The group toured a hospital and private houses. At some of the homes, the residents showed off their crafts, and many from the group bought items. Jen scored a few Christmas gifts. She also mentioned that she took more than 200 photos and can't wait to show them to everyone.

It was the best experience yet because as Jen puts it, "I got to see in person what CCF really does. I got to see the children who I read about and see photos of. It's amazing. I understand the mission now."

Jen confessed that she did more shopping (or scoping as she states) in the late afternoon with her colleague Ellie. They walked around at the local market and found some great buys. "You know how I love to shop! There's so many cool things to buy here."

The exchange rate continues to throw her off. She likes how she can bargain for items at the market, but one time, she miscalculated $4 for $40 and walked off before realizing her mistake. She returned and bought the item. I believe the exchange rate is around 10 to 1.

Jen had a great dinner. More like a feast. But I'm sorry, I forgot what she ate. I'll do better on the next blog with the menus. But I do recall her saying that the guacamole is to die for. She couldn't stop eating that.

Jen went to bed early to be rested for a busy Tuesday. Ema talked to her mama on the phone and did say "hi." The little girl keeps saying "mamamamamamama," which makes me wonder if she knows Jen is gone. I think she does. But Ema and I are doing well. We plan to visit my cuz for dinner tonight (Tuesday). I really have enjoyed our bonding time though I can't wait until the family is together again.

No comments: