Usually I wake up Sunday to the smells of bacon and eggs. My beautiful wife spoils me on Redskins day with a hearty breakfast. She's even learned to make the sunny-side-up eggs just right.
But this Sunday, she woke me up with a phone call. She had showered and was headed to breakfast. It was a little before 9 a.m. Ema was in bed with me. The little girl woke up at 7, and after an hour of negotiations, I convinced her that more minutes of sleep would be in her best interest. Ema sprung up from her slumber and smiled at her mama's voice.
"Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma," Ema said as she pointed to the phone. My two bestest girls talked for a bit before wishing each other a good day.
Ema and I spent our Sunday at Meesh's house (my cousin) and had a great time though the skins got blown out. We were back home by 7:30 p.m. and in bed an hour later. Jen called around midnight with a recap of a busy day.
She said breakfast was delicious. She had tacos and some smoke out of the ears salsa. Yikes. The group then took a scenic bus trip to Lake Zirahuen where they cruised around before stopping for lunch. I don't remember what she had for lunch, but I do recall she saying that it was somewhat exotic and she tried everything.
The group also made their way to a well-known copper artist. Jen said she bought jewelry (with U.S. dollars) and a beautiful plate. Jen loves plates for some reason I've never understood. She mentioned that most of the items were very reasonable and that her mom would have loved to shop there.
The party returned to the hotel in the afternoon and then took a walking tour of Patzcuaro. I made a mistake in the last post. I said the hotel was in Morelia, which is wrong. Anyway, Jen got to see the city in the daylight and confirmed her suspicions. The place was a lot like old town San Antonio, which made her feel like she was in a western movie.
She said dinner was yummy, again I forgot what they had. What I do remember is that she and a few sponsors went to the hotel bar and enjoyed a beer and a couple shots of tequila! She said she had a great time speaking with a man who also used to live in Lafayette, La. The gentleman owns an oil company and apparently has accomplished a great deal in life. Jen said she loved hearing him talk about traveling to China and other parts of the world. She said listening to him reminded her of my dad. I got the feeling that this experience, though just a day old, is opening her eyes to the adventures of travel, especially abroad. She reveals that fact by the way she spoke of her day, the excitement of the trip, and the possibility of future places she'd like to visit. I could hear passion in her voice.
She spoke less of how much she missed Ema and I, which is great because it meant she was truly enjoying herself. Ema and I know she misses us. What we really wish is that Jen gets the most out of the trip, and comes back to teach us the meaning of the things she saw and experienced. I truly can't wait to pick her brain.
Monday, November 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment